Colorado is an excellent place to buy a remote cabin if you love nature, although this state has some problems which might make you reconsider buying a remote cabin in this state. There are a lot of remote cabins for sale in this state, and as the local population keeps growing the offer will be higher thus the prices will be more competitive. With that being said, remote cabins are a niche market in local real estate, and the price of some of the remote cabins can be extremely high.
There are a lot of remote cabins for sale in Colorado, although the price of buying a remote cabin is significantly higher than in the neighboring states. The average price per sq. ft. for remote cabins in Colorado is $430, this price can fluctuate depending on factors like location, road access, how the cabin is built, and the size of the land. The most popular counties in Colorado for buying a remote cabin are Moffat County, Navajo County, and Mesa County among others.
If you want to live in a remote cabin then your best option for getting water is to harvest rainwater, my personal recommendation is to use a high volume gravity fed water purifier especially if you have a large family Click here to check it out on Amazon.com
Before buying a remote cabin in Colorado you should really consider what are your overall goals with the cabin, either to use it as a weekend retreat, an off grid home, or even for homesteading. If you want to buy a remote cabin to use occasionally during the weekends and holidays then you have to make sure that the remote cabin has road access. During the wintertime, a lot of snow falls in Colorado, especially in the mountainous regions, and a lot of roads are not usable during the wintertime.
On the other hand, if you want to buy a remote cabin to live off the grid or to homestead then you have to think of what are your options for treating sewage, generating power, and harvesting water. In the past it was actually illegal to harvest rainwater in Colorado, luckily today it is legal although there are still some restrictions and regulations when it comes to harvesting rainwater, and this does also impact you if you live in a remote cabin.
Living off the grid in a remote cabin in Colorado is possible, although, from an off grid living perspective, this is not an ideal state as it has a lot of problems. For more information about living off the grid in Colorado check out my recent article Off grid living in Colorado ( The Centennial State ).
Price Of Remote Cabins In Colorado
The cost of property and land in Colorado is significantly higher than the national average by around 66%. The average price for a house in Colorado is around $384,000, and the average price of a house in the USA is $231,200. Although the price of remote cabins is significantly lower than the price of a house, but you will still pay around 30%-45% more for a remote cabin in this state than in the neighboring states.
The average price of a remote cabin in Colorado is around $200,000 although the price depends on a lot of factors, such as location, the size of the cabin, and if it comes with some extras. For the most part, remote cabins will have a composting toilet, some will have a rainwater harvesting system and even fewer will have solar panels to generate power. Generally speaking, the ones that do have solar panels also tend to be the most expensive, just remember that solar panels do not last forever, and as time passes by they become less efficient. The average price of a remote cabin in Colorado is $430 per sq. ft. although the actual price will depend on where the remote cabin is actually located and how much land the cabin also includes. If you want to build your own remote cabin then one of your best options is to use a prefab home, for more information check out my recent article Top 12 Prefab off grid homes ( With Prices ).
Most Popular Counties In Colorado For Buying Remote Cabins
For the most part, you will find remote cabins dotted all across Colorado, however, there are a couple of counties that stand out and have a lot more remote cabins for sale than others. The most popular counties for buying a remote cabin are Moffat County, Navajo County, Mesa County, San Juan County, Fremont County, Riverside County, San Miguel County, La Plata County, and Gilpin County.
Average Price Per Sq. Ft. For Remote Cabins In Colorado Counties
The price of remote cabins can fluctuate a lot from one county to another. Colorado is a fairly large state and it has several types of climates, some remote cabins for sale are in the middle of nowhere while others are in close proximity to towns and cities. Generally speaking, remote cabins in the northern parts of the county tend to be the most expensive ones although with some research you can find a couple of hidden gems.
- Moffat County has an average price of $376-$433 per sq. ft.
- Mesa County has an average price of $411 – $566 per sq. ft.
- San Juan County has an average price of $492 – $670 per sq. ft.
- Fremont County has an average price of $380 – $478 per sq. ft.
- Riverside County has an average price of $458 – $521 per sq. ft.
- San Miguel County has an average price of $402 – $578 per sq. ft.
- La Plata County has an average price of $365 – $618 per sq. ft
- Gilpin County has an average price of $438 – $586 per sq. ft
- Colorado offers a variety of scenic and remote locations where remote cabins are available for sale. From mountainous regions to secluded valleys, there are options for those seeking solitude and a connection to nature. Research areas such as the San Juan Mountains, Rocky Mountain National Park, or the Gunnison National Forest for potential remote cabin opportunities.
- Colorado is renowned for its outdoor recreational activities, making it an ideal destination for those seeking adventure and exploration. Remote cabins in Colorado provide access to activities such as hiking, fishing, skiing, mountain biking, and wildlife viewing. Consider your desired outdoor pursuits and look for remote cabins located near areas that cater to those activities.
- While remote cabins offer seclusion, it’s important to consider the logistics and accessibility of the property. Determine the level of remoteness you’re comfortable with and assess factors like access to amenities, road conditions, proximity to services, and the availability of utilities or off-grid solutions. Keep in mind that remote cabins may require additional planning and preparation, including winter access and maintenance.
What Colorado cities have cabins?
Colorado cities such as Aspen, Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Telluride are known for offering cabins for rent or purchase, providing visitors and residents with the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the Colorado mountains.
How much does it cost to rent a cabin in Colorado Springs?
The cost to rent a cabin in Colorado Springs can vary depending on factors such as location, size, amenities, and seasonal demand. On average, cabin rentals in Colorado Springs can range from around $100 to $500 per night, but prices may vary.
Can you live in a cabin in Colorado?
Yes, it is possible to live in a cabin in Colorado. Many people choose to live in cabins as primary residences or seasonal homes, embracing a simpler and more rustic lifestyle amidst the natural beauty of the state.
What is the most remote place in CO?
The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, located in the southern part of Colorado, is often considered one of the most remote and secluded areas in the state. Its vast sandy landscapes, towering dunes, and unique ecosystem offer a sense of solitude and natural beauty.